POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hey - new here, with a simple image map question : Hey - new here, with a simple image map question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:08 EDT (-0400)
  Hey - new here, with a simple image map question
From: Electrode
Date: 27 May 2005 18:20:00
Message: <web.42979be92728c309f52ef2a80@news.povray.org>
Apologies if this question has been resolved before. I haven't seen anything
pertaining to my specific situation while searching.

I have an image map which I am trying to apply to a cube. It is 512 x 512 x
24 bit colour. The problem is that when I try and apply the image map to
the cube, it comes out either stretched beyond recognition, or only showing
part of the image instead of the full image. It also doesn't tile, while
I'd like it to. I have tried with both TGA and JPG formats, both giving the
same results.

The code I'm using is the following:

box
{
    < HalfRoomLength, RoomFloor, -HalfRoomDepth >
    < HalfRoomLength + RoomWallThickness, RoomHeight, HalfRoomDepth >

    texture
    {
        pigment
        {
            image_map
            {
                jpeg "Textures/StainedDirtyBricks.jpg"
            }
        }

        scale TextureScale
    }

    finish
    {
        ambient AmbientValue
    }

    finish
    {
        ambient AmbientValue
    }

}

All variables have been properly declared, and TextureScale is set to 1 - so
that the image map is meant to come out in its original form.

The image in question is a brick texture, with eight rows of bricks, four
bricks in each row. The image when used in POV-Ray either comes out
stretched into a load of horizontal lines, or showing only two rows of
bricks with two bricks in each row (this is depending on camera angle, or
the value I've used for TextureScale, in some vain attempt to get the image
map to display correctly). Is there something I'm not doing right? Is there
something I may be completely missing here?

I wish I could post up pictures to show you - I'm not sure whether pictures
can be posted up here. In any case, I hope I have explained myself
adequately.

Thanks in advance for trying to help.
Electrode